Skip to main content

University College Info

Dean’s List

University College recognizes University College students who demonstrates academic excellence by issuing a Dean’s List each semester.

The Dean’s List of University College honors students who achieve a minimum semester grade point average of 3.5 with a minimum of 15 credit hours completed in graded courses (not CR/NC), and no grades below a “C” and no grades of “NC”. Under University policy, Dean’s List honors are recorded on the student’s individual academic transcript.

University College may post the Dean’s List for public viewing. Such awards are considered “directory information” and may be released without the student’s written consent unless the student has previously requested that “directory information” be withheld. Students who wish to have directory information withheld should refer to the section of this catalog related to “Access to and Confidentiality of Student Records” for policies and procedures.

For more information about these awards in University College, call (505) 277-2631; walk in to the University Advisement and Enrichment Center Suite 105; or e-mail at

Probation, Suspension, Dismissal

Students enrolled in University College are placed on probation at the end of any semester in which the cumulative grade point average on the University of New Mexico work falls below 2.00.

Students on probation are liable for suspension at the end of any semester in which the cumulative grade point average does not rise to 2.00 or better.

Students placed on probation may be continued on probation, if they substantially raise the cumulative grade point average and are making reasonable progress in meeting degree requirements. “Substantially raise the cumulative grade point avera” is defined as earning a semester grade point average of at least 2.5. “Reasonable progress” is defined as at least one-half of the student’s course load being courses (exclusive of Introductory Studies courses) which apply towards the student’s major, minor or group requirements. If these conditions are not met, the student is suspended from the University of New Mexico.

The first suspension is for one semester. The second suspension is for one year. The third suspension is for five years. While suspended, students may take correspondence courses through the University of New Mexico Continuing Education to raise their grade point average. Students are reminded that a maximum of 30 credit hours of the University of New Mexico correspondence courses may be applied toward a degree.

At the end of the suspension period, a student must apply for readmission to University College with a written petition addressed to the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies. All petitions for readmission or revocation of suspension must be received by the University College Advisement Center no later than one week prior to the start of the semester in which the student wishes to return.

Admission Requirements and Academic Regulations

All undergraduate, non-degree undergraduate and non-degree graduate students who are admitted to the University but have not yet met the requirements to enter their desired degree-granting college are admitted to University College (UC), and advised by the University College Advisement Center (UCAC). UCAC is responsible for regulating and administering the University Academic policies and procedures. UCAC works in collaboration with advisement centers to assist students in the formulation of their academic directions, goals, and plans. All students in University College are required to meet with a UCAC academic advisor every semester prior to registration.

Students in UC will receive a hold on their academic account each semester. The purpose of the hold is to ensure that students are meeting with an academic advisor, and are taking the courses needed to transfer to their degree-granting colleges in a timely manner. Students who are unsure of their academic interests or who wish to explore several possible programs of study, should meet with an academic advisor in UCAC. The advisor will help the student explore interests and abilities, discuss academic strengths and weaknesses, and explain the applicable university regulations and policies.

Students with an area of interest or a definite major in mind should also meet with that departmental advisor as well as their appropriate college or program advisor. This will ensure that they obtain current curriculum and admissions information. Although these students may be directed to a college advisement center for course advisement, UCAC maintains their records and is responsible for their general academic oversight. University College Advisement Center is responsible for their advisement until they are admitted to their intended degree-granting college or until they are no longer eligible to enroll in one of the admissions categories supervised by this office.

Students who have earned 26 credit hours and have not met the requirements to transfer into their degree-granting colleges are required to meet with a pre-major advisor at University Advisement Center.

Admission to Degree-Granting Colleges

The minimum requirements for transfer from University College to any other University of New Mexico degree-granting college or school are:

  1. Twenty-six hours of earned credit acceptable to that
  2. a. A grade point average of at least 2.00 on all hours attempted; or
    b. A grade point average of at least 2.00 on all hours attempted in the previous two semesters of enrollment, provided that if fewer than 26 hours were attempted in the previous two semesters, a grade point average of at least 2.00 shall be required on all work attempted in as many previous consecutive semesters as are necessary to bring the student’s hours attempted to at least 30. (See definition of grade point average in this catalog.)

NOTE: Most colleges and schools have admission requirements beyond the minimum noted above. In many instances a grade point average much higher than a 2.00 minimum is required. In addition, most of them also have specific course requirements before students are admitted to their program. For information on admission requirements of a particular degree-granting college or school, students should refer to the admission regulations set forth in the section of this catalog devoted to that college or school.

Students should apply for transfer to a degree-granting program as soon as they meet the admission requirements for the college or school of their choice. Transfer is not automatic. Students must initiate the transfer process at the college or school of their intended major. If the student is admitted to the college, the transfer will take place at the end of the semester (or summer session) during which the student files for transfer and is accepted by the degree-granting unit. If a student does not meet the requirements by the end of the semester in which the transfer application is filed, the transfer petition becomes invalid and the student must later re-petition for transfer.